Sunday, June 13, 2010

I'm alive!

Well, well, long time no talk! Sorry to have been MIA for so long. Let me just say: when it rains, it pours. Things are finally calming down now, so I will give you a quick recap of the past couple months.
Emma graduated from high school. She is leaving for Buffalo for 6 weeks and then off to Florida State. We moved, AGAIN. We finally sold our house. And I had a killer allergic reaction to some medication. All that has kept me from blogging.

Well, all that, and trying to set up our new home. It was built in 1926 and is all updated but with many of the original charming details intact. Pesky cypress ceilings, wood floors, spanish tiles, farm sink... I love, love, love it!

I have been thrifting my head off, one of my favorite things! All in search of the best little treasures to decorate our home. More on some of what I have accomplished (and have yet to accomplish) in a future post. Also, best part is, I now have a sewing room! Since I have been collecting vintage linens for some time, I have decided to make stuff out of them!

This is just a small sampling of them. I can't seem to pass them up! They are so soft with age and so pretty.

Anyhoo, my Mom (and thrifty partner in crime) had given me this huge bolt of white fabric so I used some of that and a couple of strips of some vintage sheets and made this:

It turned out so cute, I am going to make more: some for Sophie, and some with pink sheets, blue sheets, etc! Fun!

Speaking of Sophie, we like to be "match-y match-y twins" some times. I had found this vintage dress for 2 bucks, cut it up and made these skirts:

OK, so she is wearing hers sideways in the pic, but you get the idea! I loved the fabric print so it was quite the thrifty score for me. But my best thrifty score EVER was today:

ONE dollar. I am not kidding. Hand made, old as can be, embroidered and gored! OMG, I almost fainted. I love it! I also found this nifty scale for 5 bucks:

It was covered in grime but cleaned up nicely and is perfect for my kitchen! As soon as I get the rest of the house done I will take pics and share them here. My only rule for decorating this place is, it has to be old, it has to be cheap and it has to be functional (or too cute to pass up!)

In the meantime, if you are looking for my digital designs, I am still selling them at Memory Mixer and will be uploading more kits soon!

post signature

2 comments:

Halima said...

Doesn't sewing with vintage linens make the project even more special? You have a nice collection. That apron - so nice! Great finds.

Anonymous said...

Love that apron! Seriously! Love. It.