Thursday, August 12, 2010

Busy Busy (but still finds time to thrift)

My oldest daughter Emma is leaving for college next week (Go 'Noles!) so we've been busy shopping for her dorm stuff and getting everything ready. Of course she wanted all NEW stuff, not used so we had to make a trip to Ikea. We also found some cute things at TJMaxx and I have to admit that outside of grocery shopping, I had not set foot in a new retail store in months! It felt kind of strange. Anyhoo, she picked out some way cute items and everything is color cordinated, from storage lockers to bedding, towels and dishes, lamp, everything matches. Very cute.

I must admit this is a hard time for me. It really feels like just yesterday I was taking her to her first day of Kindergarden. I cried like a baby. It goes by way too fast. Now I have one daughter in college and one at home I am trying to potty train. I find myself not nearly as strict or by the book with the little one as I was with Emma. Now that I know our time with them at home is so fleeting. Play in mud puddles? No problem! Wear your princess costume everywhere for a week straight? Sure! Cookies for breakfast? Why not? Well, maybe not cookies for breakfast, but you get the idea. It will be interesting to see how this new approach I am taking to child rearing comes back to bite me in the butt when Sophie gets older. Haha.

Anyways, I did manage to sneek into a couple thrifts this week.


This cool wire basket, I have been wanting one for a long time. I put my alabaster fruit collection in it (also thrifted, of course!) The basket was 1.91 the fruit was 7.95.

This awesome bed tray was 2.92 (where do they come up with these prices??)




I googled Stober trays and they were made in the 20's and 30's. Love that label!



I found some old wrapping paper and cards. I always love the graphics. I found some other stuff too, but havent had time to photograph because I have been busy sewing...


... new living room window treatments. From thrifted fabric of course. A whole bag of both fabrics, high end designer stuff, for 5.95. And plenty to sew all my window valences and a couple pillows and still have some left over! Best part is, it has the same colors as my dining room, so it all flows very nicely. Once I finish I will post pics.

Happy Thrifting!