Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My First Auction

I went to my first auction Saturday night and let me tell you, it was quite the experience. We had a great time and I was just mesmerized by the whole thing. My friend Karen is an auction guru and has been to hundreds and she was surprised they didn't have more stuff, but this is a new auction house, just starting out. I saw a few things I wouldn't mind owning, so I was very excited!

Everything was going dirt cheap as there were not a lot of people there. I won a couple cool things for 5 dollars each. Unfortunately, I can't post pictures till I get a new camera. Ever since I dropped my Rebel, it is taking crap photos. I am going to start shopping for a nice point and shoot, that thing was too bulky anyways. I had been admiring this long drop- leaf farm table with 6 chairs but I had pretty much decided it was going to be too expensive. When it came up, no one bid on it. The auctioneer said "80 is the lowest I will go, or pass". My arm flew up in the air, all on it's own. I was really excited but nervous about how I would get it home since I live an hour from the auction house. The auctioneer told me I could pick it up Monday morning. Shortly after that I was getting ready to pay for everything and this big lot of silver platters (not real) came up which no one wanted. Then he threw in a zip lock bag of jewelry I had looked at and was interested in. I really didnt know what was inside the bag, but I could see some rhinestone stuff in there, which I am a sucker for. I won the whole lot for $10.00.

Fast forward to Monday morning. I get my husband to drive the little one to preschool so I can drive the hour to pick up my new dining room set. Of course I get there and no one is there. keeping in mind I had to pick up my daughter by 11:30 an hour away, I was a bit nervous. I get the guy on the phone and 5 minutes later he arrives.

We walk in and he tells me he is very, very sorry but the old lady who consigned the table came in yesterday and was so mad that it only sold for 80 dollars as it is worth thousands. She screamed and yelled and DEMANDED the table returned to her. Mind you, she did not have a reserve price on it, but anyways, she threw such a fit he felt he had no choice but to give it back to her. WHAT????!!! I was soooooo mad! First of all, that is ridiculous. Secondly, why didn't he call me? I just drove an hour! Ugh! He refunded my money and offered me $50 off anything if I come back.

But then I got home and a bad first auction experience turned great. Remember that bag of jewelry? I started sorting through it and inside was a vintage ladies Omega Deville watch. I am sure the auctioneer did not know because it's worth 2 grand according to my jeweler.

I think it's a pretty good example of karma.


Anonymous said...

I love a story with a happy ending! Makes me want to go to an auction :)

Alyssa Bee said...

Way to stick it to the auction house! Great ending :)

Betty said...

What an experience! I would definitely go back and try to get $50 off a $51 purchase. And even if you don't find a $2,000 watch, a $10 bag of rhinestone jewelry to explore sounds like lots of fun. Much better than a $10 ticket to the movies.

Barbara said...

Was the jewelry consigned by the same woman who owned the table? Reardless, that was a huge score! Congratulations!

Momo G

Into Vintage said...

That's the worst auction story I've ever heard. I think I would have impolded on the spot...however, hope you're enjoying your new watch. :-) Karma, indeed!

Into Vintage said...

I don't know how to impold but I might have imploded. :-)

Sherrie said...

I am with Into Vintage, I would have been very upset. What would have happened if you had already gotten the table home. It would have been yours to keep. I am with you, it was good Karma. Good for you. By the way, I am glad that you liked my deer mirror. I had way too much fun making it.